• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Opinions or Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a '73 cherokee 140 with a 160HP engine. Love the plane, been all over the midwest in it but here comes the issue I have... Have had it rented as a trainer also, the instructor and student flew it without any problems and landed, parked it and it was due for its 100hr inspection. When the A&P pulled the compression 3 of the 4 cylinders were bad??? One cylinder was showing 80/80 (it was new), the other new cylinder was showing low, like the exhaust valve was stuck open (yes there were two new ones on it) the other two, older cylinders were not acceptable. The case was leaking oil at the seal a little also but not bad.

Engine time is around 1100hrs (cant remember exact right this second)

He advised me to rebuild or purchase a rebuilt engine. Do I do either? Do I part it out? Do sell it?

So give me your ideas, thoughts, opinions or even offers if you are interested? Any and all are appreciated, thank you

Latest posts

Back