• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

O-360: Fixed vs Constant Speed Power Output

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm still learning all of this, so bear with me.

The Cherokee 180 I am flying has a fixed pitch (ukn type) 2-bladed prop on the standard Lyc O-360-A3A or O-360-A4A engine, which (here is where I am getting at) is rated at 180hp at 2700rpm, correct?

Granted the fixed pitch prop can only turn (per the TCDS) a maximum permissible takeoff of 2475 r.p.m, and power output is somewhat linear with revs, does that not mean that you are not getting the full 180hp on takeoff?

I understand the difference between how much a fixed pitch can bite, and the increase in RPM when getting airflow down the runway, and how a CS prop being able to spin 2700rpm. BUT, pure power aspect, it basically is a win-win situation for a constant speed on takeoff. I mean, more power with adjustable pitch means a much shorter takeoff run versus fixed, correct? To me, it just seems like the increased MX gives you a whole bunch of pros all across the flight range.

The Mooney I'm getting into has the O-360-A1D (shower of sparks, I love starting that thing), and at full power (again, 180hp at 2700rpm) it feels like a completely different monster with a lot more power.

Comments/discussion, go. Bonus points for geeky technical numbers and or charts.

Latest posts

Back