• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Niner Four Whiskey with you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavycha

CGLUMPS or bust!!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the process of wrapping up the purchase of my first aircraft - a 1963 Cherokee 180, with about 3000TT and 550 on the engine clock. In the shop right now for annual after the pre-buy...hoping to take delivery next week.

This forum has been an excellent resource in figuring out whether this aircraft fit my mission. Looks like it should do about 85% of what I'd like, at about $20,000 less than a comparably-equipped 172. I did all of my primary training in Cessnas but have flown a few Cherokees and have found them to be docile, stable, and predictable. This one was no exception when I took it for a test flight a few weeks back. The big advantage to this particular aircraft over Brand C or some of the later model Cherokee 180s is its silly useful load - I don't see any way I can stuff 1115# of people and fuel in there, but it's good to know that I would be legal with even a clown-car loading of full fuel and four 200 pounders.

I've already been pleasantly surprised with the price of insurance. I've got a couple hundred hours but basically 0 in type, and was quoted $550 for a comprehensive policy. Hope the ongoing maintenance costs are reasonable as well (another plus for the Cherokees).

The aircraft I'm acquiring is a nice old bird - nothing special in terms of cosmetics, equipment, or speed, but the previous owner took good care of her. She's lived in Eastern Washington the past twenty or so years, and the high desert of CA before that. Should make a nice platform for summer evening burn-some-avgas flights as well as some mild cross countries on weekends.

The lady of the house has been on board with the idea of an aircraft purchase for quite a while - she gave this one a thumbs-up because of the paint scheme and tail number. ;)

We'll be based out of Bend, Oregon. We've done a bit of traveling with the aircraft I used to rent - but having our own will open up the window for more multi-day trips to cool places. Coast is about 1.1hrs away, Idaho backcountry (just the tame stuff for the time being) is about 2.5, and even Yellowstone is only about 4 hours from here.

Anyhow, more to come when I pick it up!

Latest posts

Back