• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New pilot, considering a Cherokee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLL

Reaction score
Few weeks ago I completed my check ride - so I'm finally a pilot. Training was done in 172's rented from the flight school. Their rental program is pretty much training oriented, and I do not have any real close options fro rentals. Plus - I am a gearhead at heart and enjoy aspects of motorized vehicles of all types. Lastly - if I have my own plane I can set up the cockpit for management the way I want it. The $$$ support this too. So - the search as about to begin.

First confession. While I have do a lot of on-line and personal discussions about planes over the last couple of years, I have not been a student of this forum. so give me some time to do some searches, etc. But what I do know:

Mission: mainly personal use. Probably 75% local "fun" flying, + working on IFR. Mainly for the fun of learning and safety. I do not foresee the need for heavy IFR flying. 25% X-country of 200-350 nm trips. XC might be less the first year. But may increase in the following years if all goes as planned.

My heart would love a vintage Bonanza. And I have studied them from all angles. Let's just say the common sense, both for plane ownership and from the piloting need and experience, it does not make sense. Looking at the options out there. a Cherokee , say a 160 or 180, seems like a perfect fit for both my mission and me as a new pilot and plane owner.

This post is not a request for info - I need to start reading more here to learn the nuances of what is good and bad for a prospective plane. But any "sage words of wisdom" would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Gary

Latest posts

Back