• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Member From Toronto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorontoFlyer

Reaction score
After a few decades since selling my Cherokee Cruiser and not flying, I'm back.
Got the medical in the fall and have a few hours in 172s and a Warrior to get current again.
I had been considering either a Mooney or an Arrow. Comparing the two, the PA-28 series just seems more like home, so I'm looking for an Arrow... preferably an Arrow II to get the additional 5 inches (because we'll be carrying bicycles in the back when travelling).

There are two problems:
1) the best "value" are aircraft from the US. Most Canadians bought their planes when the Canadian dollar was only worth 70 cents U.S. They don't realise ("realize" for you American readers) that their planes have depreciated 30% due to the currency exchange rate.
The problem I'm facing in the US is that most US owners/brokers have no idea of the issues in importing a US aircraft into Canada. eg. in Canada, a CS prop has to be overhauled after 10 years, regardless of the hours.... etc. so trying to get detailed info is critical
... which brings us to:
2) to avoid spending $1000s flying back and forth over the US, I've been asking for scanned images of the technical logs first... I want to make sure that all current ADs and mandatory SBs have been complied with before moving to the next step
I've requested COMPLETE technical logs from 4 potential vendors thus far. NONE have sent them, whether they haven't scanned them or are unwilling to provide the info... I don't know...
Surely anyone spending 10s of thousands of dollars would want to do some preliminary investigation before spending a few thousand on a pre-purchase ?
Do people actually write a cheque without doing their homework? they must have more disposable income than I do...

Latest posts

Back