• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

TSIO360RB engines and GAMIjectors - worth the investment ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul_sherry

Reaction score
I thought about putting this on the Twin forum but there are quite a few other Pipers fitted with the TSIO360 engines - notably the Arrow.

What is the experience of colleagues on this forum who have fitted GAMIjectors with regard to fuel savings in the cruise? With Avgas over in the UK in the order of $12/gal then I'm thinking of taking another look at this.

Being a bit more specific we own (in a group) a 98 Seneca V. Although that is fitted with the TSIO360, it is the RB model as opposed to the versions fitted to earlier models. As I understand it (though welcome to be corrected) the RB series has a different make of fuel servo. It also has a different fuel/air induction system. I think the earlier models of this engine had the classic 'log runner' fuel/air induction system with a fairly large bore tube running down the side of each bank of cylinders. The RB has a 'spider' (with 6 legs) - an individual air induction tube runs to each cylinder. Although the fuel injection system is similar - a constant flow system just upstream of the induction valve.

'Out of the box' we can lean our engines back to about 38 litres/hour (10 USG/hr) at about 65% power and the engines still run smooth. The aircraft is fitted with an EDM790 monitor and I'm pretty sure that all cylinders are LoP at that fuel flow and power setting. I've had some feedback that some 360's can run smoothly at perhaps 32/33 litres per hour if suitably setup. With Avgas at current prices that's a saving of around $20/hour or $2000 over a 100 hour year. GAMI's are about $1100 a set for a turbocharged engine so, if that saving can be achieved, they would pay for themselves in a year.

The flip side is that our engineers have found that with the 'tuned' air induction system fitted to the RB, then the engines are pretty well set up and not much more can practically be achieved. Thus not much to be gained by spending $2000+ and then find no savings.

A few years ago I attended the (one and only) APS Europe course which I helped to facilitate. A very instructive weekend and good to have all three of the APS team there although I understand there was a subsequent parting of the ways (with the legal eagles involved). And not so long ago we sadly lost John Deakin to the heavenly aviation community....

Anyways back to the original question - any feedback from the Piper community?

Best regards,

Paul Sherry
PA34-200T - Liverpool - UK

Latest posts

Back