• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Mixture/idle cut off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlinspop

Reaction score
I'm still learning the idiosyncrasies of the club Archer II that I now fly. It's part of the fun, but will take a while.

Quick couple questions to see if this is normal behavior or something I should bring up at the next club meeting tomorrow:

When ground leaning, I was taught to lean it back slowly at idle and watch for a rise in RPM, even a slight one. On this plane, even if I pull the mixture back as slowly as I can, I see no rise at all before it reaches idle cut off and dies. Shouldn't I be seeing a slight bump in RPM before that? I know it's DA dependent, but it does have a FS-450 on board... is there a way to ground lean by fuel flow?

Secondly, speaking of idle cut off, when I do go to shut down and bring back the mixture all the way (fairly briskly), the engine runs without any change whatsoever for what seems like a good 10 seconds before it sputters and dies. I'll have to try to remember to more accurately time that. But is that about right, or should it cut off quicker than that, as I'm more accustomed to?

Thanks!

Bruce

Latest posts

Back