• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

MIL-spec hose swelling in presence of oil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
I've been chasing some weird moisture-after-shutdown issues that's only affecting my left engine and not so much on the right (resulting in a rusty oil cap)

iron is a little elevated in the oil samples too, but that could just as easily be flakes of rust falling off the oil cap into the pan.

On a hunch I examined the hoses feeding the air/oil separator, thinking that moisture is not getting out of the system like it should during normal operations.

For some odd reason, the left engine and the right engine had different drain hoses, or at least different part numbers. the left hose was also swollen, like it was a natural-rubber hose that was exposed to oil and fuel.

Here's some photos:

This is the hose from the separator to the engine case on the right engine that doesn't give me any trouble. I'm guessing the stamp means Mfg date of 2nd Quarter, 2006. MIL-6000 Spec?
IMG_20160522_193821.jpg

Here's the left engine hose. 4th quarter, 2004. MIL-6000 ?
IMG_20160522_193846.jpg

Here's the cross section of the left hose down the middle of the hose. That's far smaller than 1/4"
IMG_20160522_193903.jpg

Here's the side that was connected to the separator. See how it is swollen?
IMG_20160522_193910.jpg

WTF is going on here? I thought MIL-6000 spec hose should stand up to practically everything thrown at it?

The left hose was so jammed up by that narrow opening that I couldn't get any air through it at all. This whole air/oil separator system works on a principal of draft suction. There's some sort of Y-adapter where the two hoses meet, the oil hose joins the main hose which is pressurized air from the vacuum pumps sucks oil from the air/oil separator.

Right engine hose has not suffered this fate, so I'm curious if anyone has seen this before. Do these things just swell up after a time? I suppose I never expected a mil-spec hose to lose more than half it's flow cross section in an application it was designed for.

Latest posts

Back