• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lowering CHTs (one easy fix)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have the below fairings, and you are not happy with your CHTs, there is possible help by removing those two fairing pieces. CHTs may drop 15F across the board, which can be just enough to obviate peaks in the climb. The method seems simple enough, it increases the lower cowl vent opening, and likely channels the under cowl air flow for better draw.

strut_fairing.jpg

This is from my Dakota, but many PA32s, and some other PA28s have the same fairing. I discovered this entirely by serendipity -- but the owner of a large shop at my field, when I mentioned my discovery, said, "Oh yes, that is a winter fairing, should be removed in summer." I had never read that, or heard about that from anyone else.

To buttress the now two loose ends my mechanic made up a piece of aluminum, with a bend to give it strength, anchored with the same screws and lock washers the original fairing was held in place with. That same structural bend also creates an inverse wing, like a mini cowl flap, to perhaps enhance the draw and cooling. AFter the pic was taken, the free leading edge of this strip was snipped and bent upward, with the same effect in mind.

fairing_mod.jpg

Note, that you may have to twist an arm for the paperwork, to make this happen.

* Orest

Latest posts

Back