• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Low Fuel Pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InsideTrader

Reaction score
I have owned my 235 for 1 year now and when I use the engine driven fuel pump only, my fuel pressure gets closer to the lower side of the green arc the higher the power setting. So low in fact that I always use the electric when climbing. I wait until I am trimmed out at a 65% power cruise before I turn the electric pump off. On my most recent flight, when I turned off the electric pump, my fuel pressure got low enough that the needle fell to zero. The engine never complained at all and if not for the pressure gauge, I would never have suspected a thing. I turned on the electric and the pressure normalized. I turned it off again and the pressure stayed at the bottom of the green arc but the fuel flow fluctuated a full 3 gallons per hour back and forth. Eventually the fuel flow stabilized and the pressure started to climb. (throttle mixture and prop were not touched). I was told that my engine driven pump might be at the end of its life and since I have a January annual, I should replace it. However, I wanted to get the second opinion of this forum. :)

Also, how much of a pain is it to swap an engine driven pump? The pump itself is not going to cause my bank account too much pain but is this closer to a 1 hour job or an 8 hour job for a mechanic?

I appreciate all input, help, and advice as always. :)

Latest posts

Back