• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Loss of power/engine failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1A9

Reaction score
Last Sunday I was flying a plane that belongs to a friend, he just bought it and let's me fly it. Anyway, my CFI-I were headed out for instrument lesson number one. Everything on the ground was fine, run up was fine, take off roll was fine, oil pressure, temp, RPM were fine. At about 500' agl it sputtered once and I immediately began a turn back. About 10 seconds later it lost power. I made it back to the runway with no drama. It would idle fine, but only turn 2000 RPM. Fast forward to today, turns out it was a stuck valve. Bent pushrod and tube and the lifter busted into several pieces. The engine is high time so I suspect an overhaul is in the future. It's not my airplane, but I would like to be as helpful to the new owner as I can be so any advice on this process would be appreciated. It's a 68 140B O320-E2A with the Mattson 160 STC. I think there are members here who do that kind of work? Thanks for reading, Mike

Latest posts

Back