• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for an opportunity to learn from my mistakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semerson

Reaction score
So, I have posted in other sections, the issues I have had with my #2 cylinder from my O-540, and I am looking for an opportunity to learn from those with much more knowledge and experience than I.......

I am a new pilot (only about 160 Hrs of time under my belt and about 50 of that with my 1964 PA-28-235)...... I experienced an engine cylinder failure as I was descending to TPA at my final destination last april. Long and the short of it is that my #2 cylinder exhaust valve completely sheared at the stem and disappeared (apparently out the exhaust as my mechanic and I were unable to find any remnants or damage in any other cylinder or indications of metal in the oil.)

I want to try to learn what most likely would have caused this and what I can do to try to prevent similar occurrences in the future! What I had been doing prior to the event was flying home to Phoenix, AZ from Oregon via the LA/big bear CA. area. I typically fly at about 2300 RPM (fixed pitch prop) and try to maintain mixture ROP as I do not have anything other than an individual EGT probe with its EI meter and a CHT gasket probe.

I have been taught to fly with my EGT temp approx. 50 degrees ROP, which typically ends up being around 1425 as it usually peaked at about 1475 to 1500 (if memory serves correctly). I have heard somewhere that I should not ever fly cruise above 1400 EGT, is that a common practice? Also, I believe that my CHT during cruise flight is typically around 350 (redline being at 450)

Anyone have experience as to what typically causes exhaust valves to shear? These are older cylinders (well with the exception of the one I just replaced!) I believe that the engine was last overhauled 700 hours ago but was also done in 1979. I purchased from an older gentleman a year ago located in Lake Havasu, AZ.

Again, short of doing an engine overhaul, what are some general practices that I should be doing with regards to engine settings during cruise to minimize any reoccurrence?

Thank you for educating this newbie!

Latest posts

Back