• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for an airplane

luckcpa

Reaction score
I'm starting a search for another airplane. I would like to know if there is a site or database somewhere with a table so you can compare plane performance and features. For example. I want a 6 seat single engine with a 75% cruise speed of 170 kts and retractable gear. I would like to see on the table, the Gallons per hour at cruise, HP, make model, Usable load, gross weight, some info on operating costs, average annual cost... I know what I want the plane to do, I want to see how much it's going to cost me to do it.

Does anyone know if such a database exists? Anyone want to create one?

bart2

Reaction score
I thought about making something very similar to what you are describing. My idea is making basically an airplane encyclopedia/database of sort with performance data, AD's, Accidents etc.. Since it seems to be spread out across the internet and not in one central place or very accessible for manipulating. I did it the hard way when determining what type of aircraft to buy. My airport seems to be Cessna crazy and I learned to fly in a Cessna so that was my 1st inclination. then I went to wikipedia and started reading about the comparable aircraft, safety records, fuel burn etc... and narrowed it down to a few candidates then further researched each type of aircraft individually and determined that a Cherokee 140/150/160 would give me more airplane for my buck, had a good safety record and would work well for my location (Plus, I like the look over the high wing but I wont open that can of worms). I may get around to doing the database one day but, right now im in the middle of IFR Ground school, flight training, my work and a do-it-yourself home remodel so my time to dedicate to a project this size is virtually non-existent at the moment. Let me get my IFR rating and the house remodel done and we'll see what I can come up with.

joenic

Reaction score
"six seat with 75% power at 170 kts..." You'll need a turboprop if you want to fill all six seats and go anywhere. Bonanzas can almost never get six adults in with anymore than 2 hours of fuel, and besides, they have a weight restriction in the last two seats, and 170kts is not as realistic as 165 kts. Adding the tip tanks increases payload by about 100 lbs., but then there is that weight restriction aft. The turbo a36 will go 170kts. The turbo Saratogas will come the closest, but not full fuel and six american adults. The turbo Lance will come closer due to less fuel capacity. These all use a similar hp engine, figure 15 gph. I have done the same research you are looking for, just reduce your demands and there is more to choose from. I never found a "spreadsheet type site", although there is plenty of info out there from the various "societies' for each aircraft. Seems every guy I know is close to 200 lbs, and their wives are close to 150 lbs, that is usually 950 lbs. plus or minus clothing, headsets, charts, miscl. gear and supplies. Most six seaters nurn 15 gph, so 30 gallons and 10 gallon reserve for two hour flight, you need useful load of 1200 lbs plus. Saratoga at 150 kts, Bonanza at 165kts, Turbo some help if you can get to altitude for this short flight. Hope this helps a bit, good luck.

p_rothct

Reaction score
Sounds like the Cessna T210N would fit your bill, of course it will cost a few bills to buy and own.

PaulR

Reaction score
luckcpa said:
I'm starting a search for another airplane. I would like to know if there is a site or database somewhere with a table so you can compare plane performance and features. For example. I want a 6 seat single engine with a 75% cruise speed of 170 kts and retractable gear. I would like to see on the table, the Gallons per hour at cruise, HP, make model, Usable load, gross weight, some info on operating costs, average annual cost... I know what I want the plane to do, I want to see how much it's going to cost me to do it.

Does anyone know if such a database exists? Anyone want to create one?

Luckcpa

This will give you a few planes to start with, and another one is very complete with some data but not fuel burn etc. If you typed your typical mission you would get a lot of great responses from the members on planes that would be great for you. I went through all the data on differnt planes and drove myself nuts for a year before buying an Archer.

View attachment AircraftComparison.xls

View attachment AircraftSpecData.xls

piperman

Reaction score
I have a 1964 PA30 with all speed mods and STOL kit. Does moving the brake callipers to the up side cause any gain in speed?

C-FMQC

Ontario Canada

Kristin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1964 PA30 with all speed mods and STOL kit. Does moving the brake callipers to the up side cause any gain in speed?

C-FMQC

Ontario Canada
The answer is that it probably does, but might depend some on the mods you already have. It is rather a complicated question so I would suggest posting your question on a forum dedicated to the Comanche aircraft. This one is free and is the largest Comanche forum.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/comanches/start

Latest posts