• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking at a 140/150, any advice appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeiting

Reaction score
Hello Piper People!

I've recently had a potential 'deal' land in my lap in the form of a 1965 Cherokee 140/150. I found the aircraft through a referral from the mechanic/FBO I currently rent from. Here is the spec sheet:

1965 Pa-28-140/150
4000 TTAF
1400 SMOH (current engine installed 1984)
600 STOH
Garmin 430w
GMA340 audio panel
garmin transponder with mode-s traffic linked to 430
King Nav/Com no glideslope
New Attitude indicator
Century HSI linked to 430
S-Tec system 30 autopilot (Alt hold and track, coupled to GPS)
All lighted instruments
Panel mounted electronic CO monitor
JPI engine monitor (simple round one)
Interior is 10/10 or close to it
Paint is 8/10, minor hanger rash etc.

The owner is asking 29k for it. I had a chance to go for a ride in it yesterday. First time in a cherokee. It was slow and docile as I expected. We tried out most of the avionics features and they seemed to work, 430, AP, etc. My mission for this plane is something my wife and I can use to explore the west coast and for me to get my instrument ticket maybe for my wife to get her PPL. An hour builder really until I can afford something bigger/faster. The financials work out for me as far as I've calculated.

I took the logs home yesterday and found a few interesting things. The plane was a 140, STC'd for the 160HP conversion, then in 1984 had an E2A installed, bringing it back to a 150HP. The current owner told me over the phone it was a 160, I think he may have been genuinely mistaken. Not sure how this should effect the price. From the engine logs it would appear the current mechanics knew what engine it was the whole time. The plane has been maintained by our mutual mechanic for the last 5 years. I've tracked every annual from 1965 and the plane has had a lot of work done but it doesn't seem to have ever had major damage. There was one strange log on the engine for having some valve rockers changed in the middle of an annual cycle. Perhaps the result of an AD. I will ask the mechanic about this.

The airframe and avionics seem to be fine. My biggest concern is the engine. The crankcase has 1400 hours on it and is older than I am. Is this something to be concerned about? The only way this purchase could be a financial issue for me is if that crankcase blows up a year after I bought it.

My mechanic is out of town for the week. I told the owner that I would need to talk to him first before I signed anything. He's going to hold the plane for me until then. What do you guys think? I'm a first time airplane buyer and want to make sure I'm not walking into some sort of trap.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can become a regular around here.

Latest posts

Back