• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Let's talk about turbulence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
I'm generally fine with turbulence at altitude, even if it's nasty, but the particular shape of low-level turbulence has a really-nasty effect on me: I become slow-witted and slightly disoriented. Over 15 years, the only solution I've found for this was earning my IR and getting above the clouds ASAP on every trip (or flying when the air is smooth).

I still pass flight tests and IPCs when I have to take them in low-level mechanical, so Transport Canada thinks I'm safe to fly (albeit with some mediocre grades). Note that I know how to handle the plane to avoid exacerbating the situation with pilot-induced oscillations (coordinated use of rudder, aileron, and elevator), I know how to avoid it based on season/time-of-day, I'm not scared of the turbulence, and I have my motion sickness under control. It's just that low-level mechanical turbulence, specifically, makes me less sharp, as if I'd had a bad night's sleep or a couple of drinks.

Is this a problem many of you experience? Have any of you overcome it, and if so, how? I'd love to be able to enjoy flying even down low on a summer afternoon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back