• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Height System is now FAA Certified for all Pipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the model 100B when it was first offered about 2 years ago. I absolutely love it, especially for night landings, or better yet, when landing into the setting sun ... and the wow factor when I have a guest pilot in the right seat was worth the price of admission, to say nothing of the increased safety factor. Upgrading to the model 200 is presently only $80.

My Garmin WAAS GTN's will call descending through 500' AGL (GPS-derived altitude), so I'm waiting for what I hope will be an eventual offering of a "model 400" to fill the gap.

Also did the upgrade to the 200 and the updates are worth the cost. I truly appreciate the countdown of altitude from 50' literally down to feet before touchdown. Certainly adds a safety margin for nighttime landings.

Still looking for an experienced installer to put one of these in my Saratoga.
Jesse Saint at X35 (Marion Co. Fla) put in a LHA-500 an access panel under my right wing.
It’s pretty nice - gives gear reminders at 500’. Callouts thru the audio panel - 300, 100, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 (or however you want to set it up.
Very non-intrusive installation.
2 thumbs up & highly recommended.

I have the Holy Micro unit in stock. It can be hard wired to the audio panel, or it can be connected via Bluetooth. I put one in my 172 on Saturday in about 45 minutes, including cutting the hole in the access panel, but I already had power in the wing and just connected to the bluetooth on the audio panel. You can also get a battery back for it so you wouldn't require any wiring if you have a bluetooth audio panel (or you can bluetooth it to your headset directly). Setup is a breeze with an phone or iPad, and it works great. It will be a great tool, especially for students working on getting the sight picture for altitudes when landing. I can connect to the gear lights, or you can just tell it to call out gear at one or two altitudes when coming in to land. I think that would be just as good in my book. You can connect it to a GPS for GPS altitudes, and to get it to shut up over a certain speed so it doesn't call out things in the clouds. You also will have a switch to either remove power or to turn off the audio when in IMC. It is a minor alteration, so it just requires a logbook entry, and it is light enough that no Weight & Balance alteration is required.

I've not seen one of these yet. Very interesting concept. It's pretty easy to run power from the battery to the wing in my Comanche. I might look into one of these as the ability to connect to the BT on the audio panel means not having to pin a wire.
I have the Holy Micro unit in stock. It can be hard wired to the audio panel, or it can be connected via Bluetooth. I put one in my 172 on Saturday in about 45 minutes, including cutting the hole in the access panel, but I already had power in the wing and just connected to the bluetooth on the audio panel. You can also get a battery back for it so you wouldn't require any wiring if you have a bluetooth audio panel (or you can bluetooth it to your headset directly). Setup is a breeze with an phone or iPad, and it works great. It will be a great tool, especially for students working on getting the sight picture for altitudes when landing. I can connect to the gear lights, or you can just tell it to call out gear at one or two altitudes when coming in to land. I think that would be just as good in my book. You can connect it to a GPS for GPS altitudes, and to get it to shut up over a certain speed so it doesn't call out things in the clouds. You also will have a switch to either remove power or to turn off the audio when in IMC. It is a minor alteration, so it just requires a logbook entry, and it is light enough that no Weight & Balance alteration is required.

Latest posts

Back