• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Height System is now FAA Certified for all Pipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm truly not trying to start an argument but this comment does sort of illustrate my concern. The first thought that comes to mind is, if you aren't going to depend on it, why have it? A number of folks have commented very favourably about the improvement in landings that they have experienced. It is insidious, and very difficult not to become dependant on something that is improving your performance. And it's so very much easier to rely on it to make your flare judgement at night rather than getting out more and perhaps arranging some remedial flying with a better or more experienced pilot to improve your own visual judgement skills.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, just hoping that folks who are installing this system at least keep in mind all potential aspects of its impact. And make sure to still make a lot of flights with the system disabled.
I would imagine it's similar to flying different tails with different equipment - EFIS v Steam Gauges, Garmin GTN v GNS v Avidyne. You will be most proficient at what you fly most often and have flow most frequently.

• I I fly a steam gauge 172 the minimum required by my club for currency + 2-3 sightseeing flights a year; this doesn't mean I "forgot" how to land it while flying the Mooney (Aspen) or Seneca (twin, different flare technique)
  • There's always a disconnect switching my brain between Garmin mode + Avidyne mode.
If you are not proficient in a certain setup, your personal minimums for that plane should be higher until you are up to speed.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, just hoping that folks who are installing this system at least keep in mind all potential aspects of its impact. And make sure to still make a lot of flights with the system disabled.
The only potential aspect of its impact is increased S.A. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I certainly don't need it to land an airplane. I wanted it because I wanted it. I do the same thing I always do, and it backs up my usual technique.
It's brand new to the plane, but so far falls mostly into the "oh, that's cool!" category.
I've had aural voice alerts and visual (HUD) alerts tied to a radio altimeter in my day job for 34 years that provide and enhance what I'm already doing, but in a slightly metrosexual French accent. And if it's not working, we still go.

I’ve seen such wonderful reviews about Saint Aviation. My question is (& I don’t think I’m in a tiny minority of aircraft owners, & hope I’m not being overly naive):

How do you (in general) arrange to get to and from his - or other long distance - shop(s) when your home base is at least several flight-hours away? Particularly if one isn’t socially interactive with other aircraft owners who might follow and then fly you to pick up your plane? Obviously, the arrangement takes at least 2 individual transportation methods, unless you live within an hour’s drive of the shop. Just wondering…
I know of one pilot who has a YouTube channel who flew all the way from California to have his AC100 autopilot installed by Saint Aviation. That pilot is known as Flying Monkey on YouTube. How he did that and where he stayed, I don't know.

In my case, my plane was in South Florida (KHWO) when Saint Aviation installed my AC100 autopilot. But I recently bought a house in an airpark that is only 8 minutes away from X-35, where Saint Aviation is located. I can fly to X-35 in about the time it takes me to drive to Publix (a popular supermarket in Florida where I buy most of my food).

I know of one pilot who has a YouTube channel who flew all the way from California to have his AC100 autopilot installed by Saint Aviation. That pilot is known as Flying Monkey on YouTube. How he did that and where he stayed, I don't know.

In my case, my plane was in South Florida (KHWO) when Saint Aviation installed my AC100 autopilot. But I recently bought a house in an airpark that is only 8 minutes away from X-35, where Saint Aviation is located. I can fly to X-35 in about the time it takes me to drive to Publix (a popular supermarket in Florida where I buy most of my food).
In this particular case, you’re very lucky! 🙂

To clarify, X-35 is only 8 minutes by my house by air. It's about a 45 min drive.

I will likely get a lot of flack for being a nay-sayer or anti-technology, but I do have a bit of a concern about a system like this. What happens after flying with this for a period of time and getting used to flaring in accordance to the height announcements and then one day there is no announcement? I expect at first everyone will still be looking out the window and judging height visually and using the announcement simply as confirmation, but as there is more comfort and trust developed with the system (as with all automation) will the visual judgement degrade and/or disappear? Especially at night where many people don't fly that much anyway, what happens when suddenly the magic little voice isn't there and you're very close to the ground waiting for it?

Hopefully pilots with this system who are reporting improved landings are working ardently to notice the relative sight pictures corresponding with the announcements and diligently building them into their improvements. And hopefully they make flights regularly with the system turned off so good visual judgement has to be maintained.
It's one more tool to help the aging pilot population adapt.

Sorry to hear that you're not in favor of using every tool available to fly safer.

It's one more tool to help the aging pilot population adapt.

Sorry to hear that you're not in favor of using every tool available to fly safer.
I agree.

I recall during initial Airbus training in the early 90's, during the check ride the FAA examiner (hero type) wanted a full blown NDB approach with no digital data assistance displayed. The digital data would basically make that approach an ILS with the NDB information still visible on the bottom of the screen as supporting (and required legal) information. I've done my share of NDB approaches so he was probably painfully disappointed it all worked out. It was far safer and accurate to use all available resources but I also had many NBB approaches under my belt and I had a full understanding of them and could conduct them well.

The reminder (and it's only a reminder) here by some is to use all the available resources but don't use them as a crutch. Personally I don't see this system as a benefit to a student pilot when that period in training heavily involves visual perception, mental understanding and application.

Asiana 214 is an extreme example but these guys couldn't hand fly a hand flown visual approach in their 777 in CAVU weather conditions (the ILS was down). There was a lack of system knowledge, a lack of the basic flying skills and a reliance of automation that ended up biting them.

Latest posts

Back