• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lance Condition Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydbischke

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 1978 Turbo Lance II.

Pros:
- The airframe time is low. About 3,000 hrs.
- The interior is very nice - leather club seats.
- It has lots of nice Avionics upgrades including auto pilot.
- It seems to fly well.

Cons:
- The engine time is fairly high (1250 hours). TBO is 1,800 on the turbo engine.
- The exterior paint is in terrible condition. Lots of exposed metal and rough paint.

For the price, it's about where I would expect for the condition issues and high time. The plane has lived its life in Utah, which is dry, but does have snowy winters.

The owner said it passed the last annual in August, but had a cracked oil pan that was very expensive to replace.

I really like the plane, and can paint it, but the question I have is that the condition suggests it has never been hangared. How likely is it that the problems will run much deeper than a just a coat of paint?

Because of the condition concerns, I am thinking about a full FAA Annual as my pre-purchase, but that will waste a lot of money if I end up walking away from it with condition issues.

Any advice on whether I should touch this at all, or what types of inspections I should trust would be helpful.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back