• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

KLN 94

Frank L

Reaction score
I have a KLN 94 installed in my airplane. It is fully IFR which I am not. I do not use it except to kinda back up my 496. I am thinking about removing it and selling.
I know there are some folks here that are up on Avionics and selling stuff so I am posting it here for some feedback.

1. If I do remove - what would I get to replace it for a panel mount other than a Garmin?

2. What would be a fair price for the unit that would make the unit sell fairly quickly.

Thanks
Frank

bartmc

Reaction score
Frank, I've been in the market. I just bought a KLN89B IFR transplant system that is in the Avionics shop being installed right now. The 94 was/is a drop in replacement for the 89B. You might find someone wanting prettier colors that will pick up the 94 off of you. If you have it tagged, tray and connectors. its worth around 2000-3000 if you pull the entire IFR package it would be worth more. (Antenna, annunciator, CDI etc..). I don't think your going to pop in replace anything in the tray other than downgrading to an 89B an you might squeeze 1000 bucks out of a 94 on an 89B trade but some of that would be eaten up in the paperwork. AOPA says the 94 will increase the value of your plane a few thousand. I might just keep it, its not a bad unit. I'd love to have one but it was a little out of my price range for the minimal differences in the 89B and 94 and it doesn't buy you anything legally over an 89B. I may upgrade my 89B to a 94 after the sting of the 89B cost wears off just for the pretty colors. I think you would sell it quick at 2K, depending on the CDI and what not throw another 1000 or so on that for the whole package. (FWIW I paid 1100 for a KLN89B (Tray and connectors),KI202 CDI,KA92 Antenna, AK950 Annunciator and some various connectors, all tagged They were asking 1500.

bartmc

Reaction score
PropFan said:
Here's a retail benchmark for the receiver only. http://store.bennettavionics.com/kln94-puo.html. Notice this price assumes exchange of a KLN 89B. Otherwise, add $500.
In the world of avionics I have noticed that there is a HUGE difference between buying stuff rom a guy who "just took it out of his plane and would like to sell it ASAP" and "An Avionics dealer with what you need right now"
The latter can be a factor of 10 higher priced. I'd say the exception to that would be the GTN/GNS stuff from Garmin there seem to be enough folks out there drooling for that stuff that the Sell it now price is close to the need it now price. The KLN 94 is a nice unit, I think Bennett will be sitting on those for a while at that price (if they ever get any in stock). Although they do seem to price their stuff with some level of sanity. I figure you can sell the unit by itself for 2-2.5K or 3-3.5K with the rest of the stuff required for an IFR install. much over that and you're creeping into "a 400/420/430 would be cheaper" territory. The good thing about the 94 is that it's an 89B drop in replacement, im sure there's someone looking to do just that.