• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

King KI-214 Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Reaction score
I just bought a 1967 Cherokee 140 to do my instrument training. It has a King KI-214 VOR/LOC/ILS/GS indicator/GS receiver that is not functioning. The to/from flag works and you can hear the ident over the radio (KX170). The CDI is stationary in the center and does not move. As best I can tell from reading and speaking with several people, this is likely to not be repairable because the parts for the CDI are not available. Any advice on attempting to repair vs replace? And with replacement, I see that I can get yellow-tag KI214 for just under 1k, but I can also get ones on eBay that state they meet mfgr specs for $500. Legally do I need the yellow tag or is the unit legal for IFR provided the monthly VOR checks are completed? Also, is swapping this unit out something that I can do or must it be done by a mechanic?

Thanks in advance for your help. This is my first aircraft so I'm new to dealing with problems like this.

Latest posts

Back