• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin 480 (yes/no?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guzziguy

Reaction score
A little advice please:

I have a 1967 PA28R-180. I have been slowly upgrading/fixing many items over the last 3 years or so. Besides many other things, I have also installed a new intercom and Stratus ADSB-out. I have currently a KX170 and a King 140 or 145 that drive a LOC/GS and LOC CDIs.

The next major step is to install an IFR GPS. Yes, I could get my ticket with my current equipment, but would much rather train on an IFR GPS than two CDIs (you can imagine).
But, as with everything, I'm on a budget. And, I certainly don't want to over-equip a 50 year old plane. I simply want something to train in and for light IFR.

Today a hangar neighbor offered to sell me his Garmin 480. It is WAAS. It comes with tray, backing plate, antenna and the wiring harness is already built (he was going to install it for his upgrade of his Bonanza, but got a good deal on a 650). He's offered it to me for 3,500.

Personally, I think this is a great deal. But I just don't know much about the 480.
It's been bench tested, everything works.
Would really like everyone's opinions on this one. Any gotchas? Plus/minuses?

Tks

Latest posts

Back