• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Killed my PTT switch, I think........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

Reaction score
While doing touch and go's and working on my landings, I pulled the yoke all the way back during the flare. Just as I pulled all the way back during the landing, my headset speakers made a horrible audio squeal. When I pushed the yoke back in, the sound continued to squeal. I turned off my master switch. And taxed to the hangar. Now that I think about it, I had recalled hearing a click on the radio headset sometimes during other times I would pull the yoke back. I bet in this one landing, I probably pulled it back much harder than I normally do. If anything did happen right, this landing was a greaser. Of course no one was there to witness it, but me.

I got my flashlight, climbed under the dash to look, there at the end of the yoke shaft, there are two gray wires that come out the side of the end of the shaft and run into a bundle. My guess is that they rubbed the insulation off the wire and are shorting out on the shaft. Sure hope I didn't toast the King Kb170b.

Called the A&P and he's going to a look at it this Saturday.

Have any of you had this kind of issue in the past? Is there a way to adjust the yoke
stop, so it doesn't get into the wire area on the end of the yoke shaft of the wires on this PTT switch?

There is bushing that is about an inch long on the shaft, it looks like it might be a stop for the yoke to stop it, as it gets to the backside of the dashboard to stop the yoke travel.

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

Latest posts

Back