• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Just completed Annual on my PA28-235

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fortunate this year to get to do an owner assisted annual this year with FlyguyDons assistance. It was SO much better than dropping it off at the mechanic and hoping you don't get any bad(expensive) phone calls in a few days.

We went over the plane very thoroughly, given it was the first time Don had seen my airplane. The good news is we didn't find any major issues, and it appeared the prior annuals were done with a measure of care as well.

The best part in my opinion is I was able to see all the parts, see that there is no corrosion, etc. And if Don found something that was within limits, but not necessarily well within limits, I got to see it and make an informed decision about what to do. Which meant a lot of little things that were technically OK, and probably would not have been addressed by a distant mechanic, were replaced. (Like 26 year old tires....)

Don was great to work with, and I don't think I got on his nerves too much. Since it was August in Florida, my air conditioned hangar probably improved both of our dispositions!

All in all it was a great experience, and if you can find a mechanic that allows it, I highly recommend getting an owner assisted annual. It saved some money, which is nice, but for me the knowledge I gained about the plane and how all the various systems work was worth it even if it was more expensive.

I am very fortunate to be in the same airpark as Don, and get to use his services when it is convenient for both of us.

Mark

Latest posts

Back