• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Is AP upgrade worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midsouthps

Reaction score
I'm pulling the trigger on avionics upgrades. I'm having a GTN750, GTX345 and Sandia 340 installed. I have an Autocontrol III (Century II) AP. The avionics shop seems to be appalled that I'm not planning an upgrade to Stec AP. So much so that they are willing to install a system at a ridiculous price. They seem adamant I need a Stec 55 or at least an Stec 30.

My current AP is just a wing leveler with a heading bug. But, my plane trims out really well. I have no problems maintaining a steady altitude and trimming for yaw. Why are they so appalled that I don't see a need for an upgrade? I'm a relatively new pilot and I'm just starting instrument training. I'm not familiar with the benefits of a newer and better AP. Please help me understand. i.e. someone convince me to spend the money on a new Stec system.

Latest posts

Back