• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

I'm vacuum-less

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it started out as an install of a standby alternator (B&C 20amp), two days in the shop. But it morphed into a monster.

Shop checked with B&C, and was assured that the alternator would fit my O540, and an STC came with it of course.

The panel work proceeded, wires pulled, fuses installed, regulator and annunciator installed. Then it became evident that the alternator would not fit in the lower spare port of my accessory case. There is a strengthening rib on the firewall that robs it of the necessary clearance.

Plan B: OK, was considering pulling the vacuum in the near future, and installing a Sandia or the L3 unit. Shop has a Sandia in stock! I really want the plane in service this weekend. OK, rejig, decided to pull the vacuum system now, freeing up the top port, facilitating the install.

Check back again, two new issues. The standby alternator will not quite clear the oil filter, nor the bulky dynamo for the UMA electromechanical RPM gauge. The latter is an add-on, so fair enough, but the oil filter location is factory stock. Frustrations abound. Plane went in on Monday for a quick two day job, it is now Friday.

OK, the oil filter can be remoted with an Airwolf setup. $$.

The UMA tach can alternately accept a magnetic sensor that sits on the Mag. I could also drop for the Horizon tach, it takes its input from the P-leads. Either way $$.

Both solutions will need to wait for parts, and in the case of modifying the UMA, it would actually need to be sent in for recalibration.

We decide to button it all up, zip-tie the standby alternator fuses, and at least get the plane airworthy for this weekend -- obviously without the standby alternator it went in for, and with more work done than I had planned.

But, I'm now officially vacuum less, with the Sandia providing a secondary battery backed up backup.

sandia.jpg

One day, I'll have a backup alternator too.

* Orest

Latest posts

Back