• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR equipment requirements?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
So I'm thinking ahead for next steps, and I know once I get my SEL certificate, I'll want to move on to IFR. My instructor has indicated that I need to have pitot heat and an alternate static system installed on my airplane as well as some sort of an approach approved GPS in order to use it to train for my IFR ticket. Having looked through the regs, I'm thinking that he is telling me what would be SMART to have, rather than what is NECESSARY to have.

91.205(d) says:

"
(d) Instrument flight rules. For IFR flight, the following instruments and equipment are required:
(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section, and, for night flight, instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (c) of this section.
(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.
(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:
(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in §121.305(j) of this chapter; and
(ii) Rotorcraft with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of ±80 degrees of pitch and ±120 degrees of roll and installed in accordance with §29.1303(g) of this chapter.
(4) Slip-skid indicator.
(5) Sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure.
(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.
(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity.
(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).
(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent)."

There is also the provision of course that says you must be equipped with the proper communication and navigation equipment for "the route to be flown".

And of course the TCDS must say the aircraft type is certified for IFR. Now, is it possible that the TCDS for a PA28-140 says I need the heated pitot and alternate static port, and that's where he is getting this requirement?

And what do I actually need to train for my IFR ticket? I currently have two nav radios, one VOR, a second VOR w/glideslope, a marker beacon receiver/indicator installed in the airplane. I think the only thing I REALLY need is some sort of DME. I have GX55 enroute GPS on hand that I can install pretty easily, and I've also considered installing a King KLN90B which is enroute and approach certified.....I can do the install with supervision from my AP/IA and a local avionics guy who is amenable to coming in to inspect the installation and certify it according to the published procedure to verify it is operating correctly. Given I'm flying a 140 in the desert southwest, I don't want or need to pump a whole bunch of cash into avionics on it as I will be upgrading to at least a 180 in the near future......and there is the ADS-B mandate coming too.

Latest posts

Back