• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Human pilot Autopilot error - Who is at fault

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gas_pumps

Reaction score
Used to fly a 1968 Arrow about 20 years ago with an autopilot. Always used the heading hold feature with the bug on the DG. Coupling to the NAV usually caused some "hunting" or left/right roll.

Now have a 1979 Archer with Piper Autocontrol III B. Just replaced the "modern" LORAN with a sightly newer GX55 thingie. Decided to try coupling the new GPS to the the autopilot. Since I had never used the NAV coupling, I did not realize that the autopilot had to have the heading hold in the "ON" position for anything to couple to it. Wondered why the "new" GPS was letting the plane wander off to the south of the course. My daughter told me it was clearly a short between the headphones. I think she was correct. Hate it when she is right.

Latest posts

Back