• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How many hours is too many hours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcooley53

Reaction score
Gents, how many service hours are to many for comfort? I've been considering a 1981 Dakota that has >6,000 hours on the original prop AND engine... engine had 3rd rebuild in 2009... prop more recent overhaul. Right now I've gone cold on the plane due to the high hours on the prop and engine... just wondering if I'm being too paranoid. My strong preference is a 3-blade prop by the way... I have many Saratoga hours and I like the performance and frankly the look on the ramp.

I'm considering Dakota since I no longer have the need to haul around 6 seats, and the PA28-236 is not part if the main spar worry... and of course the performance... what I hate giving up is that nice wide cockpit with elbow room to spare....

Latest posts

Back