• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Help with avionics - I am totally lost (updating panel, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyski

Reaction score
All, My Avionics installer has given me a few options for upgrade to the panel in my piper saratoga ii TC (1999) and I am beyond lost. I was hoping for some insight and recommendations.

The offer was somewhat unsolicited but I still need to become compliant with the ADS-B mandate. I had been leaning towards the GTX 345 so that I could have ADS-B in which was quoted around $6,000 if I remember correctly.

First of all, what aircraft is used for: Flying my family ~ 350 miles to our vacation house in cape cod weekly/bi-weekly in the spring, summer, fall. I am PPL and working on my IR (which I should have by March). I think this is my plane for at least the next 5-10 years.

My current equipment:
- Standard 6 pack with HSI, stec 55x autopilot
- Garmin GMA 340 audio panel
- Garmin 430 WAAS
- Garmin 430 WAAS
- GMX 200 MFD
- Garmin GTX 330 (mode s traffic)
- GDL 69 XM receiver (which i do not use)

Here is a picture of my current set up:
p7f8p1q.jpg

Proposed set ups from avionics shop - these totals include labor and trade in on my current equipment - I would be keeping the GMX 200 (I believe)

Option 1
- GTN 650
- GTN 650
- GMA 345 audio panel may be able to save a few hundred here if one quoted has bluetooth, i don't feel like I need that
- GTX 345 Transponder
Total cost $13,380

Option 2
- GTN 650
- GNC 255 Nav/Com
- GMA 345 audio panel may be able to save a few hundred here if one quoted has bluetooth, i don't feel like I need that
- GTX 345 Transponder
Total cost $6,980

Option 3
- GTN 750
- GNC 255 Nav/Com
- GTX 345 Transponder
Total cost $11,980

I am leaning towards option 3. The HUGE display would be helpful (I think???, any comments?) and when I fly now with my two 430W. I feel like I don't really use the map display for anything and simply just use the nav com function. Does having two map displays help with IFR flight and is just something I have not yet experienced? (I am done with written IFR test, but only a few hours into training)

Thank you in advance!!

Latest posts

Back