• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Help: Researching Flying to Puerto Rico after Maria

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
So my mom (85) lives in Puerto Rico and is stuck in Puerto Rico and I need to consider what options we have to get her out. The airport, tower, and radar facilities are not fully functional presenting chaos for people trying to fly out commercially. Conditions at the airport are very bad and we just don't know when she will realistically get out of there so need to get up to speed on alternatives in the event a commercial flight is not going to work out in a reasonable time.

I checked chartering a plane from WI to PR & back but that option was ridiculously high ($30K). Another option is finding another pilot with a capable plane to perhaps fly to/from PR and Florida and the last option is me flying my Dakota to PR to pick her (and someone else up) and head back. I do have another pilot who would meet me in FL and he has connections both in FL and PR so knows people on the ground who can help us logistically once we get to the island and ensure we can land and get fuel and get out. He also can get an 9 person raft and floation devices for the portion of the flight over water. So what I could use from the group is help with either option 2 or 3. If you or someone you know is in a position and has a plane capable to fly to PR to pick up 2 people and fly them to FL let me know. Of course compensation/fuel/whatever would be part of this plan. Finally if all I have is option 3 (fly my single engine Dakota) I need any and all info pertinent to such a flight. So if you've flown from FL to Puerto Rico or the caribean let me know what I need to know (safety, risks, flight plan, route, permits to fly over cuba, etc...).

Any ideas/tips will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Jose

Latest posts

Back