• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hello from Raleigh NC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdan27611

Reaction score
Hello,

After 14 years out of the saddle, I'm finally starting the process to get back in the air. My oldest kid just turned 12 and I've sold my business (and started another one) but I'm finally able to get back to flying. In my previous life of flying, I ended up with some unusual experience. I flew corporate (part 91) and learned as I went. First as a copilot then eventually in the left seat. My logbook only shows about 1000 hours total time, but almost 800 of it is multi-engine. Most of the mult-engine is in either a Cessna 340 or a King Air 200. I'm also rated in single engine helicopters, which I dearly love to fly. Flying that kind of iron, I've been to Flight Safety more times than I can count and held a Pro Card in both the Cessna and the King Air at the time.

In addition to the experience above, almost all of my experience is in low wing aircraft. I probably have 15 hours of Cessna time, total. My initial training was in a Piper Tomahawk and I'm most comfortable with low wing aircraft. I've never had a problem with crosswinds in any condition even above the max crosswind component of the aircraft (really good initial instructor) but the little I've flown Cessna's crosswinds were no joke. I like the control the low wing gives me. Plus I like the view.

When my career advanced to a point where I could no longer focus on flying, I hung up my spurs and really haven't much touched an airplane since, although I've kept my medical current and continued to read Flying and AOPA Magazine at least some of the time. So basically I'm pretty doggone rusty. My stick and rudder skills are gone, I sorta remember how to hold and to shoot an approach, as long as it's an ILS. I've never shot a GPS approach or used Foreflight. I've never gotten weather while airborne except with Flight Watch. A KLN-90B GPS was the cat's meow when I stopped flying so all the technology was a bit intimidating when I was on the outside looking in.

However I just returned from the AOPA fly-in in Beaufort, NC and attended the Rusty Pilots program, which was very good. I feel pretty good about getting my BFR and getting back in the air at least VFR to begin with. I got a demo from a poor lady with Foreflight and she answered at least most of my questions (I had a BUNCH!) I was blown away by how much information is available in the air now and on the tablet. I'm super excited to get back in the air and enjoy all the additional safety of having such updated information.

My son, who is 12 now, has expressed an interest in learning to fly. And I'm sure my 10 year old daughter will be right behind him. Since flying is now "for the children" the wife has cleared me to "get whatever you want." I'm going to be posting some questions on the forum asking for help with my selection process. Like most people, I have a budget and mission limitations. I have a customer who is a CFI so I'm in good shape on getting myself back current. Selecting an airplane, that I will need help with.

But first and foremost, hello to all.

Dan

Latest posts

Back