• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hearing Static

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brndn756

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, today after my lesson I noticed a very loud and heavy static noise come through my headset. My instructor heard it as well and it almost sounded like we were sitting next to a helicopter. That's the best way I can describe the static. So I get back in the plane and I taxi away from the stopping point of the lesson and the sound dimmed to almost being gone. I then proceeded to takeoff and checking a couple frequencies. Halfway through the 20 minute flight the static came back and was very heavy. I could barely hear ATC. I tried to switch frequencies, turn down the radio volume, and turn down the intercom volume but that has zero affect on the sound level of the static. The only thing that worked was turning the volume down on my headset. Once back at the airport I restarted the radio and the same heavy static came back. Anyone have any experience with this and advice they could pass on? It's a brand new Garmin 650 and all new antennas. The is the first day this has happened.

Latest posts

Back