• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hard to start Arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N8080U

Reaction score
So, the answer is probably right in front of me but here goes.....I have over 30 years of flying, 5000 hours and plenty of time in Arrows and Lycomings in general. I flew 2 years in a Navajo - scheduled service - so hot starts were commonplace 5 - 10 times a day. I have flow probably 10 different Arrows, including the one I purchased last year. When I bought it, it had a brand new IO360-C1C6, (about 100 hours now). New Slick Mags, new plugs, basically, everything new firewall forward. This is by far the hardest D#$%m plane I have ever tried to start. At a minimum it takes 3 start cycles to get it going. Even at that, it spits, sputters and shakes for about 30 seconds before it starts running smooth. Tickle the fuel pump.....instant death. Lean the mixture just a little.....dies. Once it is running though, it runs great. Hot starts.....if you miss it, forget it, back to the pilot's lounge for a nap. I have tried every start procedure from the POH to combinations I have made up and nothing seems to work. Yet I can go to the flight schools Arrow, hit the fuel pump for 3 seconds, mixture ICO, throttle 1/2. 2 blades and it's running. As far as I know, the Impulse coupler is good. My mechanic thus far, has not been able to find anything wrong mechanically. i.e. Fuel pump, hoses, etc. So, I am more than open to any ideas if anyone has some. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back