• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin G5 HSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my HSI (an old king model) failed, which caused my autopilot (heading bug, no altitude) to crap out. Not good as I mainly fly cross country IFR. On the bright side, I relearned the skill of hand flying by compass with no DG/HSI to see your heading.

I decided to go with a G5 HSI. Lesson #1, the G5 HSI install is more complex than the G5 AI install. I’m located in Orlando, shopped it around to 3 FL avionics shops and ended up with Jesse Saint at Dunnellon. I was pleased with his work. He correctly installed the HSI, got the old Wiring with the heading bug and old auto controller sorted out AND got the GPSS to my gtn 750 working (something the shop that installed the GTN never was able to).

Getting IFR current again and very pleased with the results. I highly recommend Saint Aviation for avionics if you are in the southeast U.S. Not advertised, but he has a company Cessna to ferry you for the price of fuel.

Latest posts

Back