• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel starvation on climb out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2105T

DHolt
Reaction score
Recently I was riding back seat in a PA-151. During a takeoff climb, 400-500 AGL, the engine sputtered. An immediate switch of tanks (from right to left) brought the engine back to life. Pitch was also simultaneously being reduced. Flight was coordinated as far as “off-duty” CFI pilot in right seat could discern and recall. I was not watching the ball myself. However, the takeoff was mistakenly performed on the lowest tank (no comment needed). The remaining climb and short flight was completed on the left tank. Upon landing I sticked the right tank and was surprised to find 8.5 gallons.

Is this possible? Anyone ever unported a tank with that much fuel in a coordinated climb? Any other explanation? Not carb ice. Certainly a fuel issue. Tank was sumped pre-flight and used on prior leg, but not sumped post-flight to check for water.

Latest posts

Back