• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel Gauge Requirement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guzziguy

Reaction score
All,
I am working on the IR and, as part of that, I am reviewing regs, etc.

In addition to the instruments required for instrument flight, all VFR day/night requirements also apply. As I haven't reviewed that in a while, I reacquainted myself with our favorite acronym, "A Tomato Flames."

As we all (should) know, having Fuel gauges is one of the requirements. In reviewing the FAR/AIM, I see there is no requirement that the gauges be either electric or 'physical' (e.g. a sight glass). This makes sense since many of us have electric gauges, but older planes such as the Stearman have physical site glasses to measure fuel quantity.

Now, before every flight, part of my pre-flight is to check that my gauges are operational and (roughly) accurate by comparing what the electric gauges indicate as they compare to what I see dippng the tanks physically. No issue, my gauges work fine.

Then it hit me: There is no written requirement in the FAR/AIM that the fuel gauges be electric or permanently installed in the plane. This means that by dipping the tanks before each flight may satisfy the fuel gauge requirement (obviously requiring close attention to fuel burn throughout the flight).

Understand: This would not be a typical or normal interpretation of the rule.

My question is: Has anyone successfully complied with this requirement (officially) by dipping the tanks only?

Pure curiosity on my part.
Tks

Latest posts

Back