• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel Flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkallen

Reaction score
My cherokee is a 1969 180 Model D with the O-360-A4A engine. I have always suspeced that I had a bit of a miture problem, but it appears that it may actually be a fuel flow issue. Just wondering if any of you have a fuel flow unit on your Cherokee. According to the Lycoming manual, the fuel flow at 28.5 inHg manifold pressure should be about 17.5 GPH according to the performance graph for maximum power. On the Power Curve, it shows a specific fuel flow of 0.55 lb/BHp/hr which would be approx 16.5 GPH. At 28.5 inHg, I am getting a maximum flow of 15.1 GPH. It looks like this is causing my #3 cylider to be a little lean and has a temperature profile different than the other 3 cylinders. It is getting hot to the tune of >400F on climbout and it went to 440 before I arrested the heatup by pulling back the power (I was already full rich).

I have always suspected a fuel distribution issue because #4 was always coolest and #3 was always hottest. I found a couple of issues that I would have expected to resolve the #3 problem, but none worked. The issues resolved included gaps in the affling, a large gap above the oil cooler and a concern about the air side pressure drop across the oil cooler, so I replaced the oil cooler also. It is looking like the root of the problem is due to a lack of cooling due to fuel flow. This annual, we found a small restriction to exhaust flow and replaced the exhast system. Also due to cleanig up the airframe and the potential of overspeeding the prop, I went ahead and had the prop re-pitched and this wound up agrivating the #3 CHT issue.

So I am asking if anyone knows what the maximum fuel flow through carb at full rich is suppose to be?

Latest posts

Back