• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel cap Piper 66817-00

killrocks

Reaction score
Anyone have a Piper fuel cap PN 66817-00 laying around used, serviceable? A buddy needs one for a tip tank on his 235, not sure if it's the same as the main tank caps or not.

andy101

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the correct type. I got it as I wanted to get my caps painted and didn't want the tank uncapped for any length of time. Description was PA28 fuel cap. Didn't fit properly so you are welcome to it. PM me if it looks like it might fit.

Fuel Cap Bottom.jpg Fuel Cap Top.jpg

killrocks

Reaction score
That definitely looks like something other than the Piper cap! I sure appreciate the offer though. Maybe someone else will recognize that fuel cap so it can go to a good home?

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an early Piper Cherokee cap. The auxiliary vent is the small hole in the top and the small tab inside. Piper replaced this design with the cap with the small red rubber valve.

skywag

BE300 CE500 DA-50 LR-JET
Reaction score
I'd like a re-build kit for my early caps.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the small valve flap material, that could easily be replaced. I had one of these as a spare which I gave to a friend. My Cherokee has the new style.

Tweety

Reaction score
I think the most "unobtanium" part for the rebuild is the phosphor bronze flat spring that goes behind the rubber seal. When that gets weak the seal won't hold no matter how good it is. If you can find a rebuild kit for the caps let us know the part number and who sells it.

I worry about the provinance of "used" caps since they are so easy to steal from aircraft that are tied-down.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the most "unobtanium" part for the rebuild is the phosphor bronze flat spring that goes behind the rubber seal. When that gets weak the seal won't hold no matter how good it is. If you can find a rebuild kit for the caps let us know the part number and who sells it.
What about substituting brass?

http://www.ksmetals.com/29.html

Tweety

Reaction score
Maybe possible, but the flat spring is actually slightly cupped and is made of material that is more springy. More like phosphor bronze. Would be interesting to see if a copy of the Piper drawing is available.

Latest posts