• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Forward Looking Terrain Avoidance - cool!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my new Avidyne IFD540 GPS/COM and companion AXP340 transponder (ADS-B 1090 out) are ten days away.

I am now doing a last thorough rehash of the PG & Install manuals, while running the simulator. Good as I can get, until the devices arrive!

I was having fun playing around with the FLTA (Forward Looking Terrain Avoidance), amazing stuff. Normally that is only available with a full TAWS-B option (a pricey GPS/COM option), but the IFD540 includes it even without TAWS.

qyh5yb.png

Here, I've purposely stayed too low in the simulator, ignoring the TERRAIN, PULL UP aurals. Note the cross-hatched red/yellow markings covering half of the map, these show a conventional terrain warning, and highlight the areas within 100ft and 1000ft of current altitude.

But, also note the much smaller, brighter red and yellow just ahead (and behind) the current aircraft position. This is computed FLTA, and shows where you will collide (red) with terrain based on your current altitude, speed and VS. It is only the FLTA that generates the terrain aurals, so if you hear it, watch out, it is for real.

Note at the top the computed GPS AGL of minus 560ft. Much as the map shows, I've tunneled into the Appalachians here. The GPS AGL is like a poor man's radar altimeter.

* Orest

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back