• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN 650 terrain alerting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
In a different thread, we had a side discussion about terrain alerting. The IFD 440 advertises "forward-looking terrain alerting" (FLTA), which isn't actually TAWS, but has some features in common—it was part of an optional add-on package in 2017, but I'm not sure of its status now. Some list members suggested that the GTN 650 doesn't have this feature unless you buy the expensive TAWS-B add-on—that seemed wrong to me, so I decided to investigate.

I was unable to start the GTN 650 software v.6.50 emulator without TAWS (it's not an option), so I couldn't check there, but according to the latest GTN manual (v.6.50), the 650 includes two levels of terrain support built-in (for those who don't buy the expensive certified TAWS-A or TAWS-B solutions):
Terrain Proximity:
  • Standard terrain function displaying relative elevations on moving map
  • Does not provide aural or visual alerts
Terrain Alerting:
  • Basic terrain alerting function
  • Provides aural and visual alerts
  • Does not meet TSO-C151c or TSO-C194 requirements for certification
Digging down further into the documentation, GTN Terrain Alerting provides the following aural alerts (section 10.5.6.1):
  • FLTA Terrain Warning (RTC-W, ITI-W)
  • FLTA Obstacle Warning (ROC-W, IOI-W)
  • FTLA Wire Warning (ILI-W, RLC-W)
  • FLTA Terrain Caution (RTC-C, ITI-C)
  • FLTA Obstacle Caution (ROC-C, IOI-C)
  • FLTA Wire Caution (ILI-C, RLC-C)
  • Premature Descent Alert Caution (PDA)
  • Voice Call Out (VCO-500) -- 500 ft callout
I'm pretty sure I remember getting the "five hundred" callout routinely from my GTN 650 around the turn from base to final even before my recent upgrade to the version 6.50 software (I distinctly remember the stern female voice saying "five ... hundred" through my headset). I don't fly low enough to get the others.

My plane is in annual right now. Can other GTN owners confirm that this support is built-in, and maybe how long they've had it?

Cheers, David

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back