• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Flew using Wing X for the first time today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmc

Reaction score
I like it, the iPad is a little bulky for a PA28 cockpit. i have the Sky High Genesis kneeboard and it worked fine, I also have the clipboard attachment and it's a little awkward.

-> http://austinflightcheck.com/search.php ... ype=&scat=

I need to figure out how to lock the orientation on the iPad so that it doesn't keep rotating from portrait to landscape automatically.

Not as optimal as a yoke mount GPS by being in my lap and not in my primary scan.

The software is much better than the Anywhere map software and just not quite as good as the Garmin Aera.

We went to two airports and did 3 approaches (2 GPS and 1 ILS). I don't think the geo-referenced approach plates would be worth the 100 bucks, maybe a little bit of neat-o factor but I don't see much utility there if any, surely you can't THAT lost flying an approach with a moving map display can you?

The moving map with terrain was nice and I can see a value in it in IMC. Bringing up approach plates on WingX was easy and fast.

Overall, im initially happy with the purchase. My CFI bought a 3 month subscription to ForeFlight and used his son's iPad to do what I was doing with WingX. Only down side is the size and being kind of clunky in the cockpit trying to jot down notes and run the iPad. But, for VFR my wife likes to navigate so i imagine I'll just push D-> on the 89B and hand her the iPad.

Latest posts

Back