• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

First flight with EI CGR-30P engine monitor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The install of my new engine monitor was completed Sunday. Weather and business delayed the first flight until today. I got up at noon today, in the wonderful Florida sunshine. Probably not the best time temperature wise, but I certainly got to see that the display was easily readable in bright full sun.

All functions worked like they are supposed to, EGT's and CHT's across all 6 cylinders were pretty much in line, with no major differences between them. It is very nice to have fuel flow now, as well as fuel pressure. Also gained Manifold pressure, which may not be all that useful on a fixed pitch prop plane, but it was required if I wanted to calculate %HP.

The install was very involved, particularly since I added MP, that line had to be run into the cockpit since there wasn't one on the plane already. I also had the existing oil pressure and fuel pressure gauges disconnected, and the lines going through the firewall disconnected and removed. 2 less flammable liquid lines in the cockpit to worry about. Since the CGR-30P is STC/PMA approved as primary instruments for these, I didn't need the old ones.

Because it was hot (96 degrees with 60% humidity), and I couldn't climb up to cooler air due to some clouds moving in, I circled over the top of the airport for at 2,000ft AGL about 30 minutes checking and watching everything closely for any problems. No problems occurred, everything worked, so I called it a day and put the plane away, hot but happy.

The only issue is some strangeness with the display dimming, I'm working with E.I. to sort that out. I suspect I'll have to install a dedicated rheostat to dim this instrument, it doesn't work well when hooked up to the existing instrument light dimmer. As bright as it is, it will definitely need to be dimmed at night, or it could light up the whole cockpit.

Mark

Latest posts

Back