• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Finding knots ... gap seals and rudder rigging questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Dakota climbs well (1200-1300ft/min even on hot south Florida days), so I know it’s making good power. However, going 75% ROP I think I’m about 5-10 knots too slow comparing to research I’ve done on past posts on thus forum. I seem to hit a wall at 133 knots.

So, I used the aileron flap rigging tool and followed the maintenance manual to the best of my ability, and the position of the ailerons and flaps seem to check out. I got an A&P look at this who says my rudder rigging is off. Is it conceivable that rudder rigging can rob speed?

The other question that I have is regarding my aileron and flap gap seals which I show on the pictures below. Are they installed correctly? I question this because the do not seem to fit flush with the wing. I have seen some pictures of other planes with the gaps seals looking like this, so I am not sure if that’s par for course. If that’s not normal, then maybe they’re doing more harm than good.

DB0D1DBC-FF54-4A8F-82A1-6A536E3968AF.jpeg
BAC4A338-6843-41FD-9B6C-20BEAC546ADA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back