• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ferry Costs & Purchase Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintroad

Reaction score
Been looking at this 1965 150C/160 plane in Reno. Have to ferry back to Tampa FL. Need a ferry pilot or someone willing to make the journey. Prefer a CFI who can provide training credit and lesson during flight (how I currently have it priced flying back with CFI with 15K+ hours and 25K+ hours as ATP Senior Captain)

Cannot seem to justify the expense of moving the plane that far. The more expensive annual is being done because the plane has been sitting and the engine needs a thorough inspection.

Might just want to find something closer with better interior, stronger engine history and easier/cheaper to check out and test flight.

Cost Analysis:
Will have spend a ton to get it in from Reno. $1150 for Pre-Buy/Annual, $450 one-way flight to Reno from Tampa, $250/day for Ferrying ($750-$1000 depending on days) plus $200 in Standby Fees with flights and I have to pay all meal, lodging and snack expenses. (Another $500 easily) plus ~200 gallons of fuel ($1000, if not more) plus tie-down/hangar fees along ($150) and misc expenses. ($300)

Totals: $4450+

Looks like $4K+ just to get plane moved to FL. Not worth it in my estimations unless I am missing something. That is just outrageous. I can pay a year of hangar fees, redo interior, buy new avionics or pay for 150 hours of flight time.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back