• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

exhaust is shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Plane is in the workhop for a complete repaint and an annual.
Shop found a completly shot exhaust system - will be replaced, no doubt.
Besides the crack(s), the material looks annealed. Muffler is distorted (can't find the picture right now).

Why is this? EGT too high? I wasn't aware that our plane's exhaust systems could run too hot.

First exhaust, 3093h in service. Engine O540 B4B5, 1700h, 7.2 compression ratio, runs under Petersen Mogas STC. 2/3 to 3/4 of the time use of Mogas, Avgas100LL only when Mogas isn't avialable. Engine instrumentation: just the stock EGT gauge. We run the engine 75°F rich of peak and typically in the 8000" to 12000" altitude, so less than 75% power - should keep us out of the "red box". On sight seeing flights down low we run at 55% to 65% power. LOP is not possible with this particular engine, running too rough for my comfort.

i4lu14.jpg

34681vs.jpg

And, by the way, leaky gaskets caused all flanges to erode :(. This will cost some serious cash :(

35jxa1u.jpg

Comments on the possible cause welcome

Markus

Latest posts

Back