• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine upgrade on a Six?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoAir

Jeff
Reaction score
I'll be as brief as possible... I'm Part 91, instrument rated, fly 150+ hours per year, maintain currency even if that means shooting approaches on crappy days. I own a '69 Cherokee Six with a 260. With its current configuration and upgrades, I absolutely LOVE it, fabulous IFR stack and backup everything plus three crazy bright landing lights combining for 10,000 lumens for my 20% night flight. You all know the useful load of a Six simply cannot be beat.

So, my engine is "technically" OVER TBO. It runs like silk, 78-80/80 compressions, burns 5-8 quarts per oil change (well within spec) and is clean as a whistle. Suffice it to say I will run it for a while as I analyze my options for overhaul. My question is this: (1) Overhaul existing, (2) find a 300 and perform STC to gain more horsepower, or (3) convert to experimental (which if approved is one-way) and install a diesel conversion and carry and sell the STC myself.

The way I see it, if I could add 30 knots and drop fuel burn at the same time with THIS plane, using a diesel conversion, I would never get rid of it. The 300hp STC might gain me 15 knots, but that is not enough after 6 years at 135 knots, but it might add resale value if it costs me no more than an overhaul. Or, I just overhaul my existing engine, break it in and sell this gorgeous plane for what the market will bear and buy a faster plane and suffer with the cramped cabin space and lower useful load.

Anyone else out there daydreaming about a 300hp diesel conversion and burning 7-8 gph at 55% power setting at 160+TAS at altitude?

Latest posts

Back