• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dual G5 install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arob16

Reaction score
Hey gang,

My partner and I are going to be installing dual Garmin G5s in our 1976 Arrow II. We are in the middle of discussions on parting-ways with our vacuum system all-together. Redundancy is great, but vacuum systems cost money over the long haul. Plus, I understand each G5 has a backup battery with ample discharge time (4 hours each?) Anyway, I wanted to pulse the team here on a couple questions:

1) Anyone perform a similar install and have feedback on tossing out the complete vacuum system?
2) My partner spoke with another pilot that mentioned something about the G5 batteries being known for "overheating" in the sun. Any experience with this? (we live in Dallas, HOT in summer)

Thanks folks

Our other equipment just in case:
S-tec 50 AP
GTN 750, flight stream 210
GNS 430W
GDL ADS-B in
GTX 330
GMA 340

Latest posts

Back