• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dragging brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisO

1976 Lance PA-32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been dealing with an issue on my 1976 Lance that I hope someone can give me guidance on.
I'm a fairly newly minted A&P, just to get that out of the way.

Left brake is dragging. No question about the diagnosis.

I took the caliper out of the disc/bracket, cleaned it thoroughly, greased the sliders, put it back in.
Pistons retract fully (used a C-clamp for this)

The dragging improved a little bit, but it's still there.

I did notice that the flexible line is VERY rigid (old), and as far as I can tell of the operation of this brake, the whole caliper should ever so slightly slide away from the disc on brake release. If the hose is so stiff, maybe this can't happen?

Other than that, what should my next step be? Open the system and pop the pistons out to verify lack of corrossion in there that may prevent smooth retraction? Change the O-ring while I'm at it.
Should I be looking at something upstream in the master cylinder(s) for that left brake?

Thank you for your input,
Luis.

Latest posts

Back