• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

door issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyH

Reaction score
I have a 65 180 C. While down with engine failure, two "brothers" attempted entry by unlatching the top and pulling back on the door. A new metal pc. was constructed and riveted in, the door repainted, new weatherstripping installed, new pins, etc.
After the weatherstripping was installed, it was a battle to get the top latch to fit while inside the plane, but it was doable. Now, the door won't latch at the top while inside the plane. Pressure is needed outside to push the latch down, and latch it.
I've adjusted the latch bar (unscrewed it more) hoping to catch the latch. I've lossened the clevis pins, to try to adjust the door better, etc.
I'm now thinking the weatherstripping is too big, and thinking of taking some toluene and removing it to put in something thinner.
These idiots didn't get a thing out of the plane, but it sure has cost me. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this door to fit? I believe the previous owner had issues, because there is a strap at the top to help pull the door in to get it to latch.
I believe the radius is off. How to re-establish that properly, I'm clueless about.
Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back