• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Vibration on 1967 Arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to head to work this week so while I wait to have someone take a look at this - figured I would ask the braintrust. 1967 Piper Arrow with IO-360 (180HP) and 3 bade Hartzell prop. Bought the airplane last summer but considerable down time due to catch up maintenance and avionics work. Plane has always had a vibration and have flown recently with a few other pilots who have mentioned its enough to start chasing down. Installed a JPI 830 and the engine looks fantastic according to that. Good EGT/CHT spreads, good temps, mag checks good (both recently replaced and timing checked). All ignition components have also been gone through. Prop overhauled in 2012 with only about 400-500 hours on it. Engine mounts just under 10 years old. Vibration does not get worse with increase in airspeed so thinking it's not airframe. While in cruise, there does seem to be some variation when adjusting cruise RPM, seems happiest at 2400 (got slightly worse at 2300 and 2500). Definitely diminished when power pulled off in late stage of descent. Prop recently balanced with fantastic results on paper but still getting some small oil spray on the blades (mechanic says he's not worried about it). The vibration seems worst in the climb. It's enough that it's noticeable in the yokes and fixtures (door handles, door, etc. We are leaning towards a prop issue but anything else I should be looking at? Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any video. Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back